Friday, January 24, 2014

Shop Lighting Installation

We bought a home near my work place couple of years ago. Its a new home built by one of the branded home builders. This is step in the direction of home-steading. This model had the biggest garage out of all the available models of town homes. I bought a 4-lamp shop light almost 12 months ago and it was sitting on my work bench. My desire and commitment to run full-marathons took up most of my weekends. I ran two full marathons in 2012. In 2013, I have toned down my running to only half-marathons. This has freed up some of my time to focus on the tons of projects waiting to be executed. All these projects are aligned towards the long term goal of self-sufficiency.

This garage-light was sitting on the work-bench for over a year and hogging up the space. I needed the work  bench for the project. Working light will help a lot during the evening hours. Last weekend was long weekend due to MLK's birthday celebrations. Installing the garage light was one of the priority items on my list.

Most of my power tools are on wheels. I typically drag them close to the garage door so that there is plenty of supply of fresh air. Fresh air is needed as the tools are producing copious amounts of saw-dust. Even though I have an attached dust collector but fresh air helps.  The decision was made to keep the garage light exact on top of the area where most of the work will be done. This created the challenge of being able to open the garage door and still have a working hanging light.

In this youtube video, I have attempted to describe the way I overcame the challenge of installing the shop light between the garage door in open position and ceiling.


No comments: